The 10th Anniversary Of Mangaka.co.za!

Updates related to the Mangaka community and website.
Laevatein
Administrator

The 10th Anniversary Of Mangaka.co.za!

Postby Laevatein » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:40 pm

Welcome (back) to all!

As the topic title suggests: this year is the 10th anniversary of our community. The exact anniversary, to be more specific, was in February; as the site launched in February 2005. Interestingly we shared our launch date with one of the (now) most popular sites on the web: YouTube. Also quite bizarre is the fact that we shared manga video tutorials at launch; at a time when video on the web was still taking off. You can still watch those original tutorials on the site for nostalgias sake! Credit to original forum member bassFX for creating those tutorials.

Whilst the focus of the site has shifted many times since we first launched, one aspect remained at the centre of our purpose: community. Without the insight and opinion of every member who posted on the forum, or their artwork on the site, this site wouldn't have carried much value. Thanks goes to all those original members, and I hope in time, if any of you happen upon this site again, that you will once again join in the discussions!

So what has changed?

The most noticeable change is that the site is going back to its roots as a forum-only for now. The site is still hosted locally, in South Africa, which means performance improvements for local users as before. The site is accessible over IPv4 or IPv6, future proofing connectivity. Another area of importance is security, with the site now exclusively delivered via HTTPS. This means your connection to the site is now always encrypted, and your login details and messages cannot be intercepted. The site is now optimised for mobile web browsers, which means you can get the same great experience from your phone, tablet or desktop. Last, but not least, the site contains no advertising.

Over to you.

It's my hope that you'll (re)awaken your interest in reading manga, discussing manga and/or drawing manga through this community. I'm looking forward to reading your messages and seeing your artwork! You're most welcome to make suggestions and/or ask for assistance at any time.

Thank you!
Feel free to Private Message or Email me for assistance at any time.
Eagerly awaiting the release of the next Full Metal Panic!

Sonikku
Novice

Re: The 10th Anniversary Of Mangaka.co.za!

Postby Sonikku » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:37 am

The forum is back... sheesh, its been a decade...

Laevatein
Administrator

Postby Laevatein » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:16 am

Welcome, Sonikku.

Indeed, and it's already now the 11th year of the website. Time does tend to slip away it seems.

Glad to see your participation. 8-)

Sonikku
Novice

Postby Sonikku » Fri May 06, 2016 1:16 pm

Glad to see you're still going

11 years.. that's dedication.

Last time I was here, probably in '08, back then IIRC the forum wasn't running or something.. can't remember.

Laevatein
Administrator

Postby Laevatein » Sat May 07, 2016 7:45 pm

Thanks, hopefully as word spreads more people will start posting and we can grow the community again!

Return to “Community Updates”